Saturday, September 18, 2010

The next move

Started out this morning with some meetings and I found out that I will be learning a berber dialect, which is what I longed for!  Many people are wondering why, because that means I will be in a more remote area, so I want to make it clear.  One of my intentions with the Peace Corps was to immerse in another culture and have fewer "connections" to modernization.  So learning Berber means I will be in a rural area with some of Moroccan's first inhabitants, Berber tribes!  I will be training at the bottom of a mountain in a small village of about 300. Tomorrow, Sunday, I will begin to stay with a host family and officially become part of a Moroccan family and I am really anxious for this.  My LCF, language & culture facilitator, seems to be great and I already enjoyed being around her!  Along with that I will not have internet at my site so I may not be back for a week or more, but know that I am ok, in a safe environment, amongst beautiful people that will look out for me!  After all the excitement this morning we took a trip to the nearby town and went to the souk, market, and I got a cell phone and an adapter for a European plug so I guess I am official now.  It was very interesting to see the many different lives and styles of Moroccans.  This was a great oppurtunity for me to observe and I enjoyed what I saw.  I took one last walk on the beach for now, atleast the next 11 weeks until I get my final assignment!  Also, I have confirmed that I did bring poison ivy with me over here and I think it may be from having too much fun with the kids while I was at home, but it was well worth it.  I am keeping it under control.  Anyways I must get some rest for my big day tomorrow! Farewell for now and maybe a week or more. Much love!  One more thing...CONGRATULATIONS MADDOX on scoring two goals at your soccer game today!! You make me so proud buddy...keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. Luvin the blog I'm having trouble with the blog might have to make a facebook miss u jen

    ReplyDelete