Tuesday, November 23, 2010

So tomorrow I will spread my wings and fly...

In about 12 hours I will be sworn in as a volunteer!  By the weekend I will be on my own, fending for myself, losing every comfort I have had since I have arrived here...english speaking people! But I am ready to roll. Well I thought I was...I did not get to the level I wanted on my language test but I am competent and I can speak the language comfortably.  Again much has happened since I have been here last. On Sunday morning I said goodbye to a family that took me in with no language and made me apart of their own so to say the least it was a very sad goodbye...my host dad already called me today to check on me.  Tomorrow, I will swear in and my LCF, language and culture facilitator...aka tutor, will swear out.  She has been the reason for my success and she is the reason for this post title.  In her words, she is letting her birdies out of the nest to fly on their own...and it is so true!  Our last week in CBT we got to experience Leid Amqran with our families' which is the most celebrated holiday in their religion besides Ramadan.  This was quite an experience...and to add a warning...THESE PICTURES ARE GRAPHIC! But before, here is a little background on this holiday...it is like Christmas through religion, Thanksgiving because of the big feast (which is what Leid Amqran translates to in English) and it is like Halloween because men/boys in the village dress up in the sheep wool from the slaughtering and scare the children as well as go "trick or treating" for meat or money.  I will explain in more details within the upcoming pics...again these pics are graphic...beware...

Ok well my computer died in the middle of posting the pics and all that saved was this text so bear with me and I will get you some pics to explain more of what I experienced the past two weeks.  Not to mention by the time I post the pics I may be an official volunteer, because it is 12:30 and I have to be up at 6 and to redownload it would be atleast an hour with the speed of this internet.  This blog thing is time consuming...so I hope you all are enjoying it...Bslama! To end on the same note I started this entry with...it is now only 10 hours until I "swear in"...

No comments:

Post a Comment