Friday, November 26, 2010

Almost home...

I finally got to see Marrakesh. I got here just after sundown so I did not get the full affect of Marrakesh but it is quite a busy city and full of tourist.  I would say 50/50.  English may even be considered its first language.  But boy I got to wow them which my Tamazight language and the vendors loved me.  It is one thing to know the local Moroccan Arabic but to know the Berber language puts you on another level! You get quite a reaction from the locals and it makes me feel good.  But anyways I will finally be in my site tomorrow, Saturday, and I am ready to get there.  No more showers for a while but that is the least of my worries. In fact my body was used to the once a week bucket bath and having four showers this past week has been quite a shock to my skin, it is so dry!  My experience down here from Rabat was quite a challenge, but it could have been worse and what would Peace Corps be without challenges.  Basically I have 2 large, heavy suitcases, a backpack and an armbag and the train from Rabat was the older model without much if any luggage accomodation so I was stuck standing in the aisle for the first hour with people pissed at me because I was in there way but I had no choice.  However, it could have been worse...and I am only half way...it is a 2 day trip usually from my site to the north, unless I travel after dark, which is not allowed by Peace Corps. I was in Rabat for an extra day after swearing in so I got invited to an American's house for Thanksgiving dinner and I even took pictures.  It was definitely reverse culture shock going in to her house...I didn't even feel like I was in Morocco...I was in suburbia southern Cal.  She was in the Peace Corps in Togo and she now works for the Embassy so she was more than honored to have me over and made me feel welcome as well as completely understood how awkward I felt at first.  I honestly felt so out of place, wearing flipflops, underdressed, just a typical volunteer.  I met some students that are studying Arabic here in Rabat for a year right out of highschool.  It is through the state department...anyone reading and interested let me know.  The oppurtunity is awesome, it is definitely something I wish I had known of leaving hichschool.  But anyway I just wanted to say hi and post some pics of my Thanksgiving dinner that I did not expect to have.  I even had the "Brown n' Serve" rolls and the cranberry sauce from the can with the ridges in it.  Ya the little things...and Stovetop stuffing with a Butterball turkey.  Yes, these came from the commissary which came from America.
Wow am I in Morocco? Multiple plates and glasses, silverware, long table with chairs. 

Wow...melted cheddar cheese!

Oh my my...do you see it all? The cranberry sauce off in the background, pineapple topped with chopped pecans baked over ham, which is extremely rare to come accross in a Muslim country, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes...and the list goes on!

Ok ya I had pumpkin pie...yes you heard me, Pumpkin Pie...she even brought out Breyer's ice cream and Cool Whip...I didn't know how to act, you would have thought I had never seen food before.  Also, a note on those other pies in the back...homemade pear, cherry, strawberry and rasperry all in one and the one was covered in crushed pecans!

Well now that you all think I am absolutely crazy...I am not...just a dose of the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer and I love it!  I am going to bed now because I am getting up early to finish my travels and I hear this ride from Marrakesh to Ouarzazate is intense winding through the High-Atlas mountains so I need to be well rested!  Bslama!

1 comment: